Kays Brainwave

Friday, July 28, 2006

Thoughts lined up like ants, of ants

I love watching the ants or for that matter any small insect which goes crawling on the floor. My favourites are the ants. When ever I see the ants walking in a line I feel as if they are all singing 'Ants go marching one by one' song.

The ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching one by one,
The little one stops to suck his thumb
And they all go marching down to the ground
To get out of the rain, BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

The ants go marching two by two, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching two by two, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching two by two,
The little one stops to tie his shoe
And they all go marching down to the ground
To get out of the rain, BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

And the song goes on till ten.


If your not able to see the video, try here.

Some times I get inspiration from ants, seeing the amout of hard work they do during summer to enjoy life during winter or rainy days. I used to wonder how the ants are able to carry big food pieces, but later I came to know that an ant can carry about 20 times of their own body weight. The average life expectancy of an ant is 45-60 days. So they wont be alive during winter to eat the food that they stored during summer.
During my childhood whenever I used to see the ants, I used to feel, what if we humans are also being watched by some gigantic living being like how we humans watch the ants. I used to think what those gigantic beings would think looking at the way we humans move around, without any pattern unlike the ants. Imagine a world where we are tiny creatures and suddenly a big fat leg, comes and lands and crushes a few of us. Terrible is'nt it? Well that's how it might be for an ant. Because of all these thoughts, I always used to avoid running over an ant. Whenever I do that, I feel so happy that I did'nt kill an ant.
Sometimes I do get furious on ants, especially during summer, I don't know from where they come but it's always my bed that gets infested with ants and most of the mornings during summer I end up waking up with a swollen eye. Of all places why my eyes??? It's a pain to answer everyone why my eyes are swollen.
There are a couple of ant based animation movies in the recent years. I feel kind of excited about these movies as they are something on the same line of thoughts which I used to have in my childhood. One such movie is Antz. The movies is about a worker ant who accidently goes as soldier during a war with the termites. Another movie that got released today is 'The Ant Bully'. I will surely be seeing this movie, because this is very close to the thoughts that I had in my early years, the story is about a boy who gets shrunk to the size of an ant and lives a life like an ant. May be I should venture taking an animation movie sometime in future.

Hope I watch this movie this weekend. Have a great weekend.

Varta...

20 Comments:

  • At July 28, 2006 11:04 PM, Blogger prithz said…

    Yahoooooooooo.. Me first on ant post!!! hehe :)

    I like to watch ants move around too.. its such a wonderful sight to see them move, one behind the other, as if htey have been ordered to do so... amazing...

    Hope u get to see the movie soon.. have a blast his weekend KK!!! Tataaaaaa...

     
  • At July 29, 2006 4:55 AM, Blogger Jeevan said…

    In my school days our teacher show these ants as an example how to go in line to prayer or for PT classes. Somewhere I read that an ant has 5 noses. The video was funny, the boy stamped the poor ant.

    Happy Weekend, enjoy:)

     
  • At July 30, 2006 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Antz is a great movie. Have u watched "A bug's life"? Pillayar ants are cool. Yes. They teach a lot to humans.

     
  • At July 30, 2006 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Unga veetu erumbukku unga kannu favourite pola.. Enga veetu erumbukku en kaadhu favourite.. Adhu ulla pona odanae oru vali edukkum paarunga.. chancae illa.. Paadhi raathirila ezhundhu naan thenga ennaoya thedi oduven kaadhula vida.. :( So that thenga ennaila medhandhu chamatha erumbu velila vandhudum.. Indha logica solli kudutha enga paatikku aayiram kodi nandrigal... :)

    Evlo erumbu kaadhukkulla ponaalum seri.. innum bed mela okkandhu saapidara pazhakkatha Vidala.. :)) Erumbukkagalaan namma pazhakkatha naama maathikka mudiyuma enna?

     
  • At July 30, 2006 1:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    we have a lot of things to learn from ants. To work hard when the time is ripe and relax in the later stages of our life and so on......

    nice post!

     
  • At July 30, 2006 1:24 PM, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Good post. I like playing with ants (black ants only..red ants bite me)..but ants don't harm me. When an ant dies all others carry it to their place .. I'm not sure why? Would they eat it? I don't know. Similarly, when you disturb one ant they pass signals so fast that they all avoid that way and somehow sense danger.
    Even I don't stamp on ants..and feel pity like how tough its for them to live amidst us.

     
  • At July 30, 2006 11:22 PM, Blogger பரத் said…

    //what if we humans are also being watched by some gigantic living being like how we humans watch the ants//
    I had the same kind of thought in my childhood.
    cool post!

     
  • At July 31, 2006 12:19 AM, Blogger Ganesh Ranganathan said…

    I hate the red ants....they have the habbit of getting into my clothes that are put to dry and then biting me.. :-((

    I stomp wherever I see one.

     
  • At July 31, 2006 4:49 AM, Blogger Has to be me said…

    Thats a cool post on the ants! Sad to note abt them collecting food fr the future but that they might not last that long to rejoice the same! Well looking @ it frm another pt of view, maybe by doing so, they r saving the food fr the next generation of ants! Like how parents save fr the well being of their children! Good gesture.

    Hmmm, & ants seem to love ur eyes! Maybe they r trying to tell ya "romba site-adikathey"!!! ;)

     
  • At July 31, 2006 9:17 AM, Blogger KK said…

    @Prithz - You got puliyotharai this time... :) ask Syam for more explanation. Nice to know that you too like to watch the ants moving.
    I saw the movie, Its pretty good, If you like Antz then you might like this too.

    @Jeevan - Ants are perfect example for walking in a line. Do they really have 5 noses?? Boy! it should be a smelly World for them.

    @Karthik - I think I have'nt seen "A Bug's life". I don't know how I missed it, I generally watch most of the animation movies. Will watch it soon. Pillaiyar ant looks funny :)

    @Anon - Same pinch!!! Kannu parava illainu ninaikuren kaathukku...Coconut oil in ears...sounds dangerous to me but if it is healing then great...Kudos to your paati!!
    Naan bed mela saapida maaten...but still ants come on my bed during summer :(

    @Karthik.B.S - Oh yeah, we need to learn a lot from the ants.

    @Pavithra - Red ants don't bite as long as you dont scare them. I used to play with a few of them. I am not sure if they eat them, but when I searched the net on this, I found this. As per this site they dump the dead ant in their dump yard. This site also answers how they pass signals when one ant is harmed.
    Give me a five! So nice of you to not stamp ants on the way. Bravo!!

    @Barath - Welcome!!!Seems like wise men think alike even during childhood :)

    @Ganesh - Sad to know that you have had bad experiences with ants. But they are not that bad, its a tough world for them, be easy on them.

    @Has to be me - I too thought of parents when I came to know that antz dont live long enough to rejoice the food that they collected.
    Good point but even if ants did'nt think that way, looks like you might teach them :)

     
  • At July 31, 2006 10:13 AM, Blogger s0ulasylum said…

    hey there! im a couple days late .. ants eh? i havnt got a chance to watch the movie,.. u highly recommend it.. thn shall watch it!
    dreamin of tht big fat leg comin n crushin u eh? hungover from king kong or godzilla.. are u? :)
    and "of all places why my eyes" you say?.. well.. err.. surely better than a lot others no? :D but eye swellings are a pain n ugly!! antbites are not fun. period.

     
  • At July 31, 2006 1:07 PM, Blogger Syam said…

    I too always amazed of these tiny ants.....

    //The movies is about a worker ant who accidently goes as soldier during a war with the termites//

    sounds interesting...

     
  • At July 31, 2006 4:08 PM, Blogger Butterflies said…

    hey nalla post!!!likeit..ya this is another perspective!!!true!!!!gud thoughts

     
  • At July 31, 2006 6:01 PM, Blogger Keshi said…

    I sometimes behave like I have ants in my pants :)

    Keshi.

     
  • At July 31, 2006 8:53 PM, Blogger KK said…

    @S0ulasylum - Well I would'nt recommend it highly, but incase you haven't seen Finding Nemo or Cars then I would recommend you to watch them sometime.
    No hangover from kind kong or godzilla but If you imagine yourself as an ant then that's how it might appear when you see a human approaching. Boy! if you become an ant then I wont need to prepare Vendakka Sambar, just a spoon of sugar will do :D

    @Syam - May be you should watch it sometime. A serious comment from you?? Surprising :) yenna aachu Syam?

    @Shuba - Thanks Shuba!

    @Keshi - Is that the secret of your dancing???

     
  • At August 01, 2006 8:31 AM, Blogger Syam said…

    //A serious comment from you?? Surprising :) yenna aachu Syam?//

    KK,ipadi thaan appo appo brain velai seiyum :-)

     
  • At August 01, 2006 9:50 AM, Blogger KK said…

    @Syam - yenakku yennikume velai seiyathu...

     
  • At August 01, 2006 11:42 AM, Blogger s0ulasylum said…

    oye.. enna goin around telling people that im haunting u and all?? huh? :D.. now i wont leave it at all.. now i deftly want the sambar!!!!!
    also, i opened ur blogpage for the first time at home yday.. with my speakers on.. and i noticed that music plays out of it! :).. and theres no way to turn it off.. do you know how to?

     
  • At August 01, 2006 4:04 PM, Blogger KK said…

    @S0ulasylum - Oye! I did'nt tell that you are haunting, I said vendakka sambar is haunting me :) Ok sure, will make sambar for you. I have noticed that the music starts on its own inspite of me having auto-on = off. If you want to stop it you need to press the play button twice. My 2 yr old nephew likes the song and expects the song to play when my blog opens so I am keeping it on my blog... :)

     
  • At August 01, 2006 9:26 PM, Blogger Keshi said…

    haha!

    Keshi.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home