Kays Brainwave

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Day of upsets

Today seems to be a day of upsets. First it was Andre Agassi who walked out of Wimbledon. Agassi lost to Rafael Nadal of Spain in straight sets 7-6, 6-2, 6-4. Agassi showed his emotions while from the center court of Wimbledon where he won his first Grand Slam event back in 1992. Well this was not exactly an upset as Agassi is quite old.
Later England lost to Portugal in the world cup quarterfinals. Portugal won 3-1 against England in the penalties. Neither of the teams scored any goals during the 120 minutes of the game. But later Portugal scored 3-1 in the penalty kick to secure their place in the semi finals.
Then it was the turn of Venus Williams to exit from Wimbledon. She lost to Jelena Jankovic 7-6 (10-8), 4-6, 6-4.
Later in the afternoon Brazil to go back home empty handed from the Soccer world cup 2006. France beat Brazil in the Quarter finals 1-0. It was nice match to watch. France had the whole game in control, with Zidane steering France to victory. Ronaldo was not as fast as he was earlier.
Back to Wimbledon, US's favourite Andy Roddick was sent back home by a 19 yr old Scottish player Andy Murray. Murray showed Roddick that power is not the only thing that can win matches for a player. Murray played some teriffic placements from baseline during the game. Murray beat Roddick in stunning three sets 7-6 (7-4) 6-4 6-4.

Well But it was wonderful display of sports today though the results were all upsets.

(Pic Courtesy - Wimbeldon)

Varta...

8 Comments:

  • At July 02, 2006 4:29 AM, Blogger Sat said…

    I read an interview of Murrays a few days back, he's the local boy here and he said that it would be tough facing roddick..more or less he went in without any much expectations...but what turned up on court was something quite exciting!
    and for football..brazil's exit was heart breaking, but France's was a deserved victory...the team that shouldn't have been there was Germany..Argentina shouldn't have gone back home! :(

     
  • At July 02, 2006 11:30 AM, Blogger prithz said…

    Oh yes!!! Things seemed so topsy turvy... unexpected results... I was cheering for Argentina fo so long, now that they are out of the game, i am hoping that France really make it to the Cup this time... And more shocking that Brazil's defeat was Roddick being sent bk.. i like his game a lot :(

     
  • At July 02, 2006 10:55 PM, Blogger KK said…

    @Sat - I too saw that interview. I was really impressed with the way he played. Best part of the interview was he said "If I loose then I am Scotish and when I win I am from Britan. But I am happy to be Scotish". That's very true. I have heard a similar story happen to a Scotish cricketer.
    Yeah Brazil's exit was heart breaking for me too. But France deserved it.

    @Prithz - Well for me both Brazil's and Roddick's exit were both equally astonishing. But since I was excited to see the way Murray played. I used to like Roddick initially but I some what drifted away from him when I did'nt see him improve his game. Now I like him only for his serve's. :)
    I am expecting a Germany, France final. What do you think?

     
  • At July 03, 2006 1:23 AM, Blogger s0ulasylum said…

    yeah i heard of this too.. m not too much of a sports freak but whn argentina lost a couple of my colleagues n wdnt stop talking abt it!!! they whined ALL day! jeeeeez.. :)

     
  • At July 03, 2006 4:42 AM, Blogger prithz said…

    Me too.. I think it will be Germany vs France in the finals... But Portugal vs France is goin to be amazing... I have a feeling Germany being a home team might have a better edge over winning.. But truely France is a more deserving team and i would wish they win... Who are you supoorting???

     
  • At July 03, 2006 9:31 AM, Blogger KK said…

    @S0ulasylum - I saw a lot of Brazilian fans who were whining all day...But India should be happy, they won the test match against West Indies :)

    @Prithz - I too feel Germany has an edge over any other team at this stage of the world cup, being the home team. I too support France, I like Zidane :)

     
  • At July 05, 2006 7:33 AM, Blogger PNA said…

    yes, if you were their suporters ...
    sad for agassi, coutesy steffi
    sad for Brazil, coutesy the world cup
    sad for Venus, because i like her, her game
    .......
    the others i can be without sheeding a tear..

    cya
    Ash

     
  • At July 05, 2006 11:18 AM, Blogger KK said…

    @Ash - I am a fan of Agassi ever since he played his first Wimbledon. But I knew its a tough ask for him to beat Nadal (who's was 1 yr old when Agassi played his first Wimbledon).
    Though Brazil lost, I felt the better team won the game so I can digest it :)
    Well Venus, was the only hope for US in Wimbledon :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home