Kays Brainwave

Monday, July 10, 2006

India bans lentils export till March 2007

Due to the shortage of lentils in India, India has decided to ban export of lentils to other countries. This decision was taken by the Indian government to control the prices at India.
Due to this ban shops at Bay Area have started restricting the amount of Dal that each person can buy.

In a cluttered Aisle 5 at Bharat Bazar in the Irvington district, 36 printouts are posted on shelves, serving notice to customers purchasing lentils.
The notices state that "all dal prices have increased" and inform customers that "the price on bag is not valid." Others set a limit of two dals (bags) per person and declare that the store will not accept returns or provide refunds for lentil purchases.


The pulses that are covered under the ban are chickpea, dried leguminous vegetables, including shelled ones, peas, black matpe (urad), arhar (pigeon pea), small red beans, broad beans, red kidney beans and split beans.

Before this recent surge, 10 pounds bag of lentils costed around $5.99, whereas now the cost for a 2 pounds bag of lentils is around $4.99.

(Sources: ChicoER, Hindu BusinessLine)

Varta...

11 Comments:

  • At July 11, 2006 7:44 AM, Blogger s0ulasylum said…

    wow! making a mental note to keep my overgenerous roomie & I from giving away pulses to annoying neighbours/ weird acquantainces! :)

     
  • At July 11, 2006 8:57 AM, Blogger Syam said…

    I checked with few Indian stores...they said there is only increase in price like $.50/LB other than that there is no demand, but people here in my area swiped all the lentils and we are left behind, hence SAMBAAR demand at home :-)

     
  • At July 11, 2006 9:21 PM, Blogger KK said…

    @S0ulasylum - Wish i was your neighbour, I won't need to go to Devon st at all If I had generous neighbours like you and your roomie... :)

    @Syam - Sambar was the first thought when I came to know about this news...luckily we have good stock of Dal for Sambar :) Good luck for you for Sambar :D Or drop in sometime for some vendakka sambar in my house...

     
  • At July 12, 2006 2:13 AM, Blogger Has to be me said…

    Gosh! thats ridiculous! But we wud end up buying the same despite the high price cos dal is one of the basics of our kinda cooking. All v cud probably do is to limit the consumption to an extent.Hmmm now I gotta check on the dal @ my place & stock the same too I guess.

     
  • At July 12, 2006 6:12 AM, Blogger prithz said…

    Oh.. dats pathetic... dal being so important to the indian style of cookin, its atrocious to do this kinda thing... i hope this prob gets solved for u guys.. take care..

     
  • At July 12, 2006 2:15 PM, Blogger s0ulasylum said…

    vendakka sambar..*yumm* ? sure thing.. i provide the dal .. u cook? roomie and I eat.. lol! deal?? :)

     
  • At July 12, 2006 6:50 PM, Blogger KK said…

    @Has to be me - Yup, Dal is one of the basic ingredient in our food, so we cant avoid it despite the high price...We have started making burger and panini at home :D

    @Prithz - Probably you can send us some dal from India ;)

    @S0ulasylum - Done deal! :D

     
  • At July 13, 2006 6:56 AM, Blogger Has to be me said…

    What is panini? U cud also try keerai masiyal, pepper rasam, vetta kolambu, more kolambu etc w/o the dal.

     
  • At July 13, 2006 10:48 PM, Blogger KK said…

    @Has to be me - Panini is similar to sandwich, only thing its kept between two regular bread slices unlike a regular sandwich where French bread is used. Other than sambar I know Kurma, Dal Spinach, Pepper Rasam, Kara kozhambu...that's all :( I dont know to make keera masiyal, vetta kolambu and more kolambu :(

     
  • At July 20, 2006 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I found good quality dal at http://www.iShopIndian.com. My local store is out and I can't go a couple of days without the dal. Service is good, and shipped pretty fast. Also there is no limit, so I assume they have plenty of stock.

     
  • At July 24, 2006 1:17 PM, Blogger KK said…

    @Anon - Thanks for the Info :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home