Kays Brainwave

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Which music is more creative?Indian or Western?

Are Western music more creative than Indian music? I suddenly got this question when I was listening to 9 FM. From whatever little knowledge that I have in music, I infer that any song that is made in India, be it filmi song or songs in a album its all based on some raaga from Carnatic music or Hindustani. So all these raaga's act a template which can be used to make a song. Most of the songs are a mix and match of one or more raaga to blend into the environment or situation of the song if it was a filmi song. I find most of the similar situation songs using the same raaga. Just that the tempo of the song will be different.
Whereas in Western music as far as I know there are no specific tunes which they adapt. So what ever song that is created is a true creative song that was created by the artist. Does that mean Indian music is not as creative as western music?

Varta...

2 Comments:

  • At May 14, 2006 9:56 PM, Blogger Karta said…

    KK,
    I think Indian music is also very creative. I do not claim that I have good knowledge of music. I would like to use an analogy to explain my point.
    In English (or any other language), there are a set of words. But everybody cannot create beautiful sentences. The usage of the right words with the right punctuation creates the correct sentences that display the intended tone and meaning (and are good to hear too!).
    Same is the case with music. Even if templates are present, the right mix & match is a skill by itself and one needs to be creative to get a good song!
    And I think even Western music has templates, atleast I know them at a high-level categorization like pop, hip-hop, etc.

     
  • At May 16, 2006 3:28 PM, Blogger KK said…

    @Karta - Those clasification are the genre of the song. This exists in Indian songs too. I dont think thats any kind of template. Nice analysis btw :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home